As the growing scarcity of my trusty silver Parker Jotters drives up the price, I’ve been eyeing these tactical pens to replace them. For those who’ve used them—a few questions:
Which do you like best?
Does the ballpoint provide smooth action across the page?
Does the ink hold fast, or does it smudge and blur?
How’s the weight and balance?
Tell me about your experience getting it through airport security. 100% success?
I’m also interested in hearing about use of the tactical side. Smashed any windows, fought off any muggers, collected any DNA? Those would make for stories worth jotting down.
A preview of top-ranked pens in the $10 to $50 range:
Gerber Tactical Pen ($46.50)
- Rugged, machined steel body and stainless-steel pocket clip
- Rite in the Rain ink cartridge works in all conditions, inside and out
- Reliable push-button mechanism deploys ball point mechanism
- Integrated glass-breaker tip features tempered steel and is designed to get you out of trouble
Hoffman Richter Stinger ($19.95)
- Titanium coated black pen hand-machined out of one solid block of impact resistant aircraft grade aluminum
- Glass breaking beveled edge works equally well for a self-defense combat weapon or for breaking glass
- Described as “discreet and cool” by the manufacturer, whether you’re wearing jeans and a t-shirt, professional three-piece suit, or law enforcement, military, police, SWAT uniform, “just like a spy no one will know you’re carrying this badass tactical pen”
- “Easy to use,” says the manufacturer, ladies and gentlemen, this pen is EASY TO USE regardless of size or sex
- Takes replaceable ballpoint ink cartridges
- Ironclad Lifetime Warranty
Senior Tactical ($10.99)
- Tactical Pen Self Defense Weapon Emergency Glass Breaker | Military Grade Aluminum | Waterproof Write in the Rain Gear
- Bring a would be attacker to their knees with this discrete but powerful self-defense tactical pen.
- Stabs and jabs to the neck, head, joints, or pressure points with this self-defense tool will have the attacker disoriented and in extreme pain before they even know what they have been hit with.
- Perfect for women or men.
- Glass breaker, waterproof pen, case made of military grade aluminum,
- Balanced perfectly for ease of writing.
- Uses Parker cartridge refills.
- No hassle 100% guarantee refund policy.
Sminiker Professional Defender Tactical Pen ($16.29)
- Made of aircraft aluminum
- Lightweight and portable (Yes! A portable pen!)
- Ergonomic design
- Easy to hook on your backpack, bags, T-shirt, or notebook
- Anti-skid ability
- Compatible with Standard Refills.
TakeFlight (TM) 19.97
- Tactical Pen for Self-Defense & LED Flashlight
- Rugged & heavy duty
- Used by Military Pilots, Navy SEALS, SWAT, Marines, and First Responders.
- No more wussy plastic pens for you
- Built-in LED flashlight
- Clip to your MOLLE system, belt, or pouch
- Perfect to write in your Rite-in-the-Rain Book.
- Emergency rescue glass breaker to smash a Window for escape from a car or truck (probably, a truck)
- 1 year unlimited warranty
- Compatible with standard refills